Growing your subscriber list
Healthy, organic list growth is key to your long-term success with email marketing. Make the most of your paid ads and SEO work by converting more anonymous shoppers into subscribed prospects with these tools.
If you have not already, be sure to import your existing subscribers into your Shopify customers. Learn more. Be sure to turn off your Welcome automation when importing your current subscribers!
On this page
- Selecting a Popup, Banner, and other email sources
- Setting up your Shopify Theme for Newsletter opt-ins
- Tips for acquiring contacts and why you should never buy subscribers
Selecting a Popup, Banner, and connecting other email sources
There are many tools to collect subscribers available on the Shopify App Store. We will only mention a few types here, but as long as the app you choose updates the Customer record and sets the Accepts email marketing attribute, they will work with Seguno. Refer back to how Seguno works with your Shopify Customers.
Popup: A popup can be an effective tool to guide your shoppers and collect email addresses for future announcements. Popups can be form-based, to collect email or SMS signups, used to guide customers to companion products or new collections or to make announcements for things like site-wide sales or shipping delays. Seguno: Popups integrate seamlessly with your Shopify Customers and Seguno: Email marketing for newsletters and automations.
Learn more about Seguno: Popups.
Be considerate of overwhelming new shoppers with too many notifications when they first arrive at your site. Having browser-based push notifications, support chat, social proof banners, and a pop-up all launch as soon as a shopper starts browsing can create a very chaotic experience.
Dynamic Banner Suite: A persistent banner creates an easy-to-use sign-up form that doesn't interrupt the shopping experience. Seguno's Dynamic Banner Suite is available FREE to all Seguno users. Simply use the card on the dashboard to install. As a bonus, Seguno's Dynamic Banner Suite can also be used to encourage larger shopping carts and make site announcements.
Learn more about Dynamic Banner Suite.
Facebook Lead Connection: Connect with your Facebook business page to sync new subscribers from your active Lead Ads, maximizing the return on your advertising budget. Seguno automatically creates new subscribers in your Shopify account as your prospects sign up, allowing you to create a seamless customer experience, capitalize on your prospects' attention, and drive more sales and loyalty. Learn more.
App block: With the introduction of Shopify's Online Store 2.0, you may now add a Seguno sign-up to your theme through the new app sections. Add the section to increase subscriber sign-ups and have easier control over the form text, including name fields, and styling. Learn more.
Newsletter form: If you would like to have a page on your site dedicated to collecting subscribers, you can add the Newsletter form to your site menu. Access the form in your Seguno Settings and copy the landing page URL. In your Online Store, add an option to the menu of your choice and paste the form URL. Learn more.
If you have non-Shopify sources for collecting sign-ups, such as a third-party Point-of-Sale or collecting subscribers at a popup market, be sure to integrate those directly with Shopify if possible. At the very least, be sure to import your new subscribers promptly. Most apps on the Shopify app store will sync subscribers with Shopify, or a connector service such as Zapier may be able to connect data sources.
Setting up your Shopify theme for Opt-ins
Shopify offers an amazing variety of themes and customization for your site, but there are two main ways to collect subscribers using your Shopify theme. Update the settings below through your Shopify admin by going to your Online Store and updating your theme settings. If you cannot complete these, refer to Shopify's help center topic or reach out to Shopify's Support team. Your site design and subscriber strategy are up to you - so enable and customize these to your preference!
Footer newsletter signup
- From the Shopify Admin, navigate to your Online Store Themes under your Sales Channels. Click Customize for the theme you want to modify (likely your Live Theme.)
- Under the Sections panel, select Footer
- Check the box for "Show newsletter signup"
- Optional: Depending on your theme, you can update the copy for this signup by going to the Theme actions and selecting Edit Languages. If you're using Shopify's Debut theme, it will be in the General section under the Newsletter form.
Checkout newsletter signup
- Go to your Account Settings panel and select Checkout.
- In the Email marketing section, choose to enable "Show a sign-up option at checkout"
- Optional: If you'd like to modify the language for this option, you can select the "Manage checkout language" option at the bottom of your checkout settings. The text is in the section labeled "Checkout marketing."
Only consider the "Preselect the sign-up option" to gather more subscribers if your business's shipping regions allow it. Refer to email-marketing laws for guidance on this option as some legislatures require multiple actions for opt-in permission. In general, this option will gather more subscribers, but the list growth will have lower engagement.
Tips for acquiring contacts and why you should never buy subscribers
Growing your subscriber list is essential to build an impactful email program. A few tips to acquire subscribers:
- Use friendly language that matches your brand personality for opt-in forms.
- Have a clear value proposition in your message. Tell your prospective subscribers what they're getting when they subscribe - sneak peeks, exclusive offers, announcements, etc.
- If appropriate, offer a modest discount to incentivize subscribing. You paid for SEO and ads to get them to visit your site, so maximize your return by trying to keep them around and turn them into loyal customers.
- If you're collecting subscribers through ads, ensure those subscribers are automatically synced to your Shopify Customers. If automatic syncing is unavailable, we recommend updating at least once a week to avoid losing initial interest.