Migrating to Seguno
Coming to Seguno? Moving from Mailchimp to Seguno is made easy with our connection and this simple guide.
On this page
- Do I need a third-party tool to sync my Shopify data into Mailchimp?
- About our Mailchimp Connection
- Step-by-step migration guide
- Next steps: Domain Authentication and Warming
- Other FAQs
Do I need a third-party tool to sync my Shopify data into Mailchimp?
Only if you plan to continue using Mailchimp for your email marketing. And if you do, try our separate Mailchimp Connect app! If you are migrating to Seguno, however, you do not need any third-party tool.
About our Mailchimp Connection
We have made importing and syncing your existing Mailchimp contacts as simple as possible with our built-in integration, accessible from the Connections page on the Seguno dashboard.
Connecting to Mailchimp will prompt you to log in with your Mailchimp credentials and select which list to sync. and whether to transition your contact tags and VIP status. This connection transfers the contact's email, first name, last name, and subscription status into a customer record in Shopify. Optionally, you may sync contact tags and VIP status from Mailchimp as part of the initial sync.
We will also sync any unsubscribes that occur from a Seguno email over to Mailchimp to make sure any existing emails you are using in Mailchimp won't be sent to customers who have opted out of marketing emails. This provides you the smoothest transition possible as you move your email marketing to Seguno without disruption of your existing automations in Mailchimp, all while maintaining compliance with anti-spam laws.
Customer tags and VIP status will only sync on the initial import and is not as part of the ongoing status sync.
Step-by-step migration guide
- Export your data from Mailchimp to retain a backup copy.
- Connect Seguno to Mailchimp from the Connections page on your Seguno dashboard, to migrate your contacts and their tags over to Shopify.
- Design your Welcome automation within Seguno and any other automations you'd like to use.
- Remove or deactivate any Mailchimp pop-ups and switch to either use your theme's pop-up and/or our email capture banner. Our banner app is free for Seguno users when you install it from the Connections section on your Seguno Dashboard.
- If you don't like those options, any pop-up app that properly syncs signups into Shopify as 'accepts email marketing' will work and properly trigger the Seguno welcome automation.
- Evaluate whether you have any Mailchimp signup forms elsewhere, such as on social channels, and replace them in a similar fashion.
- Remove the Mailchimp form URL from the Newsletter theme settings in the Shopify theme editor or replace any embedded Mailchimp signup form with a native Shopify newsletter form.
- Deactivate your automated Mailchimp campaigns.
- Activate the Seguno Welcome automation and any others you'd like.
After you've spent some time with Seguno and have decided you're happy with it, you are free to close your Mailchimp account:
- Disconnect our Mailchimp connection.
- Disconnect the Mailchimp app.
- Close your Mailchimp account.
- Uninstall the Mailchimp app.
If you delete your Mailchimp contacts before disabling the Mailchimp connection, the connection will sync those deletions as unsubscribes.
Next steps: Domain Authentication and Warming
When it comes to deliverability, we have three features to help get you started on the right foot:
- Spam Protect keeps your list clean. It will monitor your account and unsubscribe bad emails before they hurt your deliverability. Learn more here.
- Domain authentication allows the emails to be sent from your domain to establish trust and build your own, isolated reputation. This is a simple process but we're happy to help and if you're using Shopify as your domain host then we can actually handle the entire process for you.
- Domain warming automatically throttles your first newsletter send to help introduce your domain and typical volume to inbox providers. We also leverage your order data in Shopify and email engagement data from Mailchimp to automatically sort them so your most engaged subscribers receive it first. You'll see a banner at the top of a newsletter detail page describing that with an estimate of how long it will take. So, just design a nice, enticing newsletter to send to all your subscribers and we'll do the rest.
- Can I copy over my email templates? No, you will recreate your emails within the Seguno editor. To get you started quickly, we have prebuilt emails for each standard automation and a variety of prebuilt newsletter templates.