Activating your Automations
Automations are the gift that keeps on giving! An absolute must for every shop, automations are triggered based on a subscriber's actions and send an email to each contact at the perfect moment. Seguno's ready-to-activate automations make life even easier with no custom scripting or theme updates required to launch. Here we’ll discuss several automations that everyone should use and give some tips and considerations for getting these programs up and running.
On this page
- Intro to Automations (video)
- Types of automations
- Customize an automation
- Checklist: Before activating your automation
Intro to Automations (video)
Types of automations
Automations watch for subscribers to take specific actions - meaning each subscriber ultimately determines which automated emails they receive. This makes automated emails incredibly effective with the perfect content at the perfect time.
There are several basic activity categories for your Automations.
- Subscriber activity - automation triggers are based on a new subscriber signing up or a subscriber having an expiration date for a Seguno-issued discount code approaching.
- Commerce activity - automations triggers based on order data and order status changes. These marketing emails are based on customer purchases and the typical points of a customer lifecycle.
- Customer tagged - as the name implies, these automations are triggered when a specific Customer Tag is applied to a subscriber. These automations can be incredibly powerful and flexible when used with an effective customer tagging strategy.
- Product purchased - triggers when a subscribed customer purchased a specified product or collection and that order has been fulfilled. This automation can be used for care tips, generic reorder reminders and more.
- Kit Skills - Kit can help you by automating newsletter sends using a Seguno template. These are triggered based on actions you take in the Shopify admin, like publishing a new blog post.
Commerce Activity, Customer Tagged, and Product Purchased automations are not a substitute for Shopify Transactional Notifications for order status. Seguno will only send emails to customers who have subscribed and is intended exclusively for marketing emails.
Learn more about the different types of automations here.
Customizing an Automation
Start by selecting the Automation you'd like to configure from the menu to see the automation summary page.
The Start card will outline the qualifying action or event for the subscribers to start the Automation or Series.
Timing for each email and is based on completing the previous step and is controlled on each email. In this example, the first email is sent immediately after the Start action occurs, the second email sends 1 day after, and then the final email another 3 days later. If an email is disabled, the delay attached to that message is ignored as well.
Use the Actions menu to update content, assign a discount, preview the email, or view the recipients' engagement with this email.
You can learn more about the basics of customizing an email here.
If you assign a discount code to a series, all following emails will inherit the discount settings and timing. These can be edited individually if needed.
If you'd like to exclude a particular set of subscribers based on a customer tag, you may apply that exclusion at the Automation level.
If you apply a tag to a customer who is currently in the middle of a series, they will exit from the Automation before the next email is sent.
To extend a series, select Add email under the last email. The new message will start as a copy of the previous message in the series.
To activate an Automation, use the toggle switch on the Automation summary card.
Once activated, new qualifying events will trigger the automation for subscribers. To disable active automations, use the toggle to stop all sending from that automation completely. You can also edit the Start card to stop new subscribers from entering the series while allowing the subscribers who are currently on the series to complete it.
Automations are not retroactive and will not send to subscribers who would have previously met the trigger criteria.
Checklist: Before activating your Automation
Before activating your automations for eligible subscribers to trigger, make sure to work your way through this checklist.
- Send test emails for each email in the series. Make sure that all images and links are correct and that all images are linked. Double-check the desktop and mobile layouts for image sizing and text wrapping.
- Verify timing settings for each email to ensure the initial email is sent appropriately after the trigger event, and subsequent messages do not overwhelm the subscribers by sending too quickly.
- Double-check discounts for expiration and settings to verify that the Discount does not have an expiration in the admin and that the Seguno discount settings have the correct eligibility and rolling expiration date.
- Review the end criteria to make sure that you're familiar with how subscribers can exit the series.
- Verify your exclusion is set for any customer tags you would like to prevent from receiving the automated emails.
- Enable each message in the series and then activate the Automation!