Newsletters are the main way you keep in touch with your subscribers. These broadcast messages are great for creating spikes of interest by making announcements, featuring a product or collection, or just reminding people how awesome your shop is!
On this page
- Intro to Newsletters (video)
- Create a Newsletter
- Newsletter Templates
- Checklist: Before scheduling your send
- Select recipients and schedule a delivery
- Duplicating and Remailing
Intro to Newsletters (video)
Create a Newsletter
Start by selecting the Create newsletter button from the Dashboard or Newsletters tab in Seguno.
Choose a starting point - either a blank body (with your header and footer) or one of the available templates.
- The Title is an internal-only name of the message that will guide you for reporting, remails, and duplicating emails. We recommend listing the campaign or type of message and using a date tag to make it easier to find previous Newsletters quickly.
- Next is the Subject line and Preview text, which used to entice subscribers into opening the email. You can learn more about effective Subject lines and Preview text here.
- For your Template, you can choose to start with only your shared theme elements or select a prebuilt layout which contains best-practice sections to make your life easier and speed up the design process. Templates are completely customizable except for the primary section. Depending on your template, you may need to select a primary product, collection, or blog post.
- Assign a Discount for the Newsletter. You can share the discount code directly, or allow Seguno to create unique codes for each recipient that corresponds to that discount and use the same settings.
After selecting the Create Newsletter button, you can preview the message content and further customize the Newsletter. Selecting recipients and scheduling your send is completed on the newsletter page as well. You'll also revisit this page after sending your newsletter to see reporting metrics, duplicate, or remail the message to non-openers. Learn more about customizing your messages here.
Whether you choose to create a newsletter from a template or not, Seguno will save some design settings and sections to make email creation easier and faster. We call this your shared theme. If you select a template, Seguno will also bring in pre-selected sections that can then be customized to your preference.
- Featured Products - highlight one or multiple products from your active products and support them with an automatic selection of your other best selling products or another collection
- Featured Collection - highlight a selection of eight products from one of your collections or Seguno's collection of your best sellers
- Collection List - highlight one or multiple collections by featuring the collection's primary image and name
- Recent Blog Posts - highlight your recent blog post and best selling products
- Featured Blog Posts - highlight a selection of your blog posts and feature some of your products
Ready to get more advanced? Customize your templates to include other great sections in the Templates tab of Seguno.
Checklist: Before scheduling your send
Before sending your Newsletter to subscribers, here's a quick checklist to make sure it's ready.
- Send yourself a test email after customizing the message.
- Verify your sender details will be easily recognizable to your subscribers
- Make sure your subject line and preview text do not contain any typos or spammy content.
- Open the email on your desktop device and mobile device to be sure you're happy with the message layout and styling.
- Check all text sections for any grammar or spelling issues. Ask a coworker to double-check or use an online proofreading tool.
- Click through each image and hyperlink to confirm that everything is linked correctly.
- If your message has a Discount assigned, double-check the settings and eligibility. Please note that any unique discount code included in the test is not a functioning code.
Select recipients and schedule a delivery
After you've thoroughly tested your email, you can assign recipients from your Customer groups. Select Edit from Newsletter control panel.
As a default, Seguno will send your Newsletter to all eligible subscribers. If your newsletter is not intended for all subscribers, you can target only the relevant saved customer groups or use an exclusion.
If a subscriber is in more than one selected group, they will not be sent multiple copies of your Newsletter. If a subscriber is in both a targeted group and an exclusion group, they will not be sent the newsletter.
To send the newsletter immediately, simply click the Send now button. If you'd like to schedule this newsletter to send at a specific time, select Edit on the control panel.
You may cancel a scheduled send before it has started by selecting Pause. The Resume option will appear if you would like to reschedule the send.
The scheduled date and time are based on your Shopify account's local time.
Duplicating and Remailing
If you enjoyed a Newsletter that you created, you can reuse that layout by using the duplicate option and then customizing the message. Simply select Duplicate from the newsletter preview page. Be sure to give your duplicate a clear title to avoid any confusion with the initial message for reporting. Duplicating is a great way to create a more detailed custom template.
If you've already sent a newsletter and would like to resend the same content to the targeted subscribers who did not open the initial delivery, you can resend to them using a remail. Navigate to the newsletter that has been sent and select the new option on Schedule to Remail non-openers.
When remailing, we recommend using different Subject lines and Preview text from your first send. Because the intended recipients have not opened the initial message, you may not need to modify the message content. You still need to follow your pre-send checklist to be sure that all content is still relevant and any applied discount codes are still active.
Remailing can be a very effective tool when used properly. Abusing and overusing remails is a surefire way to wear out your subscribers, increase your unsubscribe rate, and get marked as spam. Learn more about Remailing tips and best practices.