Tag-triggered emails allow you to design an email that will be sent whenever a certain tag is added to a subscriber's customer profile in Shopify. Since this is an automation, it's always running in the background for you, saving you time. You can learn more about automations in Shopify Marketing and customer tags within the Shopify Help Center.
Ideas for tag triggers
- If you have wholesale customers, send a tailored welcome email when they sign up instead of the automated welcome email meant for your average consumers.
- If you run pop-up shops around town, collect subscribers there and have a special 'thanks for visiting me' email sent to them.
- Build out a VIP program and trigger an email to those special subscribers once they cross your threshold of money spent or whatever criteria makes them a VIP.
- The possibilities are endless, how do you use customer tags? Reach out to our support team and let us know! :)
How to create a tag-triggered email
Click Marketing > Automations in the primary Shopify menu. Then, click the Create automation button. There is also a shortcut button within the Seguno app, at the bottom of the Automations page.
Select the Tag-triggered email automation.
To start, provide a name that will help you remember what it is for. This will not be visible to customers.
Next, select the tag you want to use as the trigger. Clicking in this field should give you a drop-down of existing options and you can start typing to narrow down the list. You can also enter the name of a tag that does not actually exist on any customers yet in order to get the automation active and ready for when you start using that tag.
The next option is how quickly the email should be sent after the tag has been added to your subscriber. The options are to send it immediately, after 1 hour, or after 24 hours.
Under Automations inside the Seguno app, if active, the Coming Soon or Welcome automation will trigger immediately after someone initially subscribes. Because someone could have the above specified tag added to their customer profile at the same time they are initially subscribed, you have the option to skip sending the automated Coming Soon or Welcome email so, in that case, only the tag-triggered one would be sent.
A tag-triggered email that welcomes wholesale signups is a perfect case where you would want to skip sending the regular welcome email that is meant for your average shopper. For your tag-trigger, if you still want the regular welcome email to be sent, consider sending the tag-triggered email after 24 hours if it is not urgent.
After configuring the trigger settings, you can enter the subject and preview text.
Then, optionally, choose whether to include a discount. You can share the same code with everyone or even have us generate a unique code for each recipient. Since this is a long-running automation, you cannot set an expiration date on your discount but, if you choose to generate unique codes, you can pretend their is an expiration date of 7 days after it has been sent and we will automatically delete the code if it goes unused. This is a great conversion-focused optimization to drive a sense of urgency.
Lastly, you will fill out the content of the email. The order of the items in the form is the order they will appear in the email: hero image, heading, text, button, and, lastly, products. Any content left blank will be hidden so you can choose which pieces to include.
Finishing later will save your form but you have to publish it before you will be able to see it inside the Seguno app. Once published, look at the bottom of the Automations page inside Seguno and you can then click on it to get to the detail page for further editing.
Just like all other Seguno automations, its detail page is where you can click Customize to hop into the email editor to add more content, view your engagement metrics, see the previews of the email,change the discount or any settings, click View report to see conversion related metrics, and there's even a handy link to hop back to the form inside Shopify Marketing.
How to add a tag to customers
- Manually from a customer's profile page in the Shopify Admin
- CSV import of customers with a Tags column in the Shopify Admin
- Bulk actions from the list of customers in the Shopify Admin
- With our signup form or other apps that create forms
- Via the API or an app that can auto-tag customers based on certain rules. We might suggest Smart Tags or Customer Tags.
- By using Shopify Flow (Shopify Plus merchants only)
- Do they have to be a subscriber? Yes, the customer must be a subscriber in order to receive the email. Adding the specified tag to the customer profile of someone that does not accept email marketing from you will not trigger the automation.
- Can I utilize this feature as a free Seguno user? No, this feature is only available to paid Seguno users but free users can upgrade early to start a free trial and gain access to this feature immediately.