Customizing a newsletter or automation
Everything you need to know about customizing an email:
If you already got a chance to check out our overview and in-depth demo videos, you will notice that building your newsletter is just like editing your Shopify website theme. To begin customizing a newsletter or automation, you'll want to find the customize button towards the upper right corner. For automations, you can either click on the email's thumbnail image on the automation overview page to go right into the editor or you can first click the View link on the corresponding email to get to its detail page and then you'll see the Customize button in the top-right corner.
Sections and Theme Settings
You can use the section and theme settings on the left to effect what will appear in the email. A preview of the email will appear on the right. Start by clicking into a section, like header for example. Here you can see all of the options available to you in this area of the email. In the header, you can do things like add a logo or a menu.
If you go back a page, you'll see an "add section" area where you can click to choose a new section of the email to fill with content. You can do things like make a discount call out, add images, add text, add featured products, and so much more.
Structure and Spacing
When adding different sections to your newsletter, you will notice the default spacing between each section. You can edit this in two ways:
- Go to Theme settings > Structure to choose between "Comfortable", "Compact", and "None" for the spacing.
- You can add a Spacer between any section the same way you would a Divider and choose between "Small", "Medium" and "Large" for the height of the spacer.
Accepted File Types
Currently, the following file types can be uploaded to a newsletter include JPEG, PNG, and GIF for images.
You cannot upload a video directly to your newsletter, but you can add an image of the video (preferably with a play button) or that links to the video. Here is an example of adding the "Image with Text Overlay" section to include a link to a video:
Similarly to videos, it isn't possible to add a PDF attachments directly to the newsletter. However, if you host the PDF somewhere publicly on the web (i.e. Dropbox), you can always add a link to the PDF in your newsletter. You can easily upload files into links from your Shopify Admin by going to Settings > Files > Upload files.
Seguno Tip: Add a corresponding image (i.e. Title slide of an e-book) of the PDF to your newsletter and link the image so that it takes you to the PDF link.
Other Important Customization Details
Most of this is pretty straight forward, but there are a few things to note here.
- Margins of the text sections (i.e. Rich Text) cannot be edited.
- Only standard email fonts can be used.
- While the spacer helps to even out your content, it can sometimes help to add white space (or transparent space if uploading a .png) around long vertical images to get them positioned exactly how you'd like. Square and horizontal images have the best fit. Here is an example of how to edit a vertical image:
- Your personal branding can be continued over into these emails by adding your own logo and colors (optional). The logo can be uploaded into the header section in the sections area. The colors can be chosen in the theme settings.
- The unsubscribe button cannot be modified. We have found that making the option to unsubscribe very clear builds trust with subscribers and reduces spam complaints. Also, the thin red border helps it be seen as a destructive action one should only click when they really want to click it. Click here for more information on mandatory newsletter sections.
The last thing worth mentioning here is that you'll want to make sure you switch back and forth between the different views before sending your email out. There is a watch view (text only), mobile view, and desktop view you'll want to check out. The text and images will align differently here based on the width so it may look like a totally different email by the time you see it in a different view. We've tried to make it as easy as possible to find ways to make your emails look nice across the board.
If you have any follow up questions about the customization process, please feel free to reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.